Saturday, April 11, 2015

Antithrombin III Deficiency

At around 15 weeks I had a routine appointment with Dr. Font. He had ordered some extensive blood work just to take a look at a few things to rule out a couple of blood disorders. As all doctors do he wanted to make sure a blood clot or disorder wasn't one of the reasons as to why we kept having so many issues with our pregnancies. 

That's where the big Antithrombin III Deficiency comes in. Medically speaking Antithrombin III (ATIII) is a nonvitamin K-dependent protease that inhibits coagulation by lysing thrombin and factor Xa. My numbers were low and Dr. Font as a precaution wanted me on blood thinner immediately even before meeting with a hematologist. So as if enough wasn't enough I would begin twice a day injections of Lovenox in my belly that my sweet gentle husband would administer because to be honest I was freaked out. 

We had no idea I ever had this disorder before, and it is hereditary so my family is in the process of being checked out themselves. We can't know for sure if this is a reason for anything that has happened in the past but as far as we are concerned taking these injections can't hurt for this pregnancy, so why not. 

After meeting with my hematologist she wanted to re run the tests one more time just to make sure that I in fact had this. My number was on the low side the last test however a year ago when I was pregnant with Knox my number was normal. After taking the second round of testing my number did go up but still remained a bit low. After speaking with Dr. Font, my hematologist made the decision to lower my dose of lovenox to once a day instead of the twice a day, which was music to my ears. I am not a baby but not a fan of any type of injection. 

I will say Marty has done well so far, every morning waking me up to injection me with the goods. I am bruising a bit on either side but that is to be expected. 

I am also on the progesterone injections once a week that my private nurse, Mrs. Mazzoni :) is ever so kindly giving me on every Sunday. Marty doesn't trust himself with that big of a needle and honestly neither do I :)




No comments:

Post a Comment