Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Daddy Time!!!!

Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad. That special person, is me! Yes it's me, the taller one of the dynamic duo that Collins' calls mom and dad. I thought it was just my time to chime in and share just how much Collins has changed my life. For starters, I have discovered my true professional calling. I should, without question, be a host on Sprout TV. I know, most of you are thinking I don't have the experience to be in front of the camera. Nickelodeon would disagree... Legends of the Hidden Temple anyone? See link here --->  15 minutes of fame Handsome 11 yr. old on the Red Jaguars look familiar? I also know the words to the Birthday Song on the Chica Show and have learned Spanish and sign language by watching the Goodnight Show. Yes, I watch Sprout with my 3 month old, and have a blast doing it. I have mastered the art of swaddling, no longer put on her diaper inside out, and have been designated the official bath time supervisor of operations and lifeguard. It's not all fun and games here in the Mitchell home, Collins' does have her mini outbursts and it's in those moments I am reminded I have a long way to go in being a true superhero dad. Here's how the scenario plays itself out. I'm holding Collins, she starts to cry. I try pacifier, no sir I will not take that pacifier! Crying continues, I try to switch positions, maybe she wants to face outward or be up on my shoulder, get outta dodge you fool. Crying now at all time high. Ashley comes over, takes Collins and within 20 seconds, the kid is all smiles. She has certainly got that magic touch. It's also those moments that I realize just how great Ashley is as a mom. She cooks, she cleans, she shops and shops and shops, does laundry, and provides the safest, best environment for raising our sweet little girl.
When Ashley isn't stealing the show, Collins and I do our own little bonding. Which is really me making silly faces at her trying to get her to smile. See below for visual

Zoolander-Blue Steel




We also make valiant attempts to work on her computer skills.


"Well dad, looks like sales are down"

My favorite part of the day is the morning. She gives us the biggest smile you can imagine. It's as if  her sleep lasted 4 years and she's seeing us for the first time, she is that happy in the morning.
Collins and I play, we make faces, we have fun, and each day I get wrapped a little tighter around her finger. As she grows up little by little, I can't help but think about what our lives and our relationship will be like.
When she is 2 we will sing and dance together
When she is 4 I will be her superhero and ultimate fixer of bumps and bruises
When she is 8 my magic tricks will once again be cool to someone other than me
When she is 16 I will be the referee for her and Ashley!
When she is 24 I will teach her that success in love and in life looks a lot like hard work.
And for every age in between and beyond, I will protect her, provide for her, be her tea time companion, her keeper of secrets, biggest fan, and proud of everything she will ever do in her life.

Collins Dad and future SproutTV host,
Marty












4 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday to you (Chica/kazoo: to you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I about died reading this. Of laughter of course. So cute and witty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous your hubby was on legends of the hidden temple! When I was growing up it was my dream to be on that show lol

    ReplyDelete