Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Surprise!

Yes its true, Marty and I were given another miracle on Sloane's due date. On September 11th we found out we were expecting, and due May 20, 2013. Just two days before Sloane's birthday. It was definitely a bittersweet day for us, and we knew it was a gift from our little girl in heaven. Now fast forward 10 weeks :) I am currently 13 weeks pregnant, and so far so great! Our doctors have been absolutely WONDERFUL! Right at 6 weeks we went into Dr. Khater's office (OB GYN) to see exactly how far along I was. It was no surprise we were right on target and even got to see the little one's heartbeat :)


Our little meatball
At 8 weeks we met with our MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doctor Dr. Font. We received another ultrasound and saw that our tiny meatball of a baby had turned into a tiny gummy bear :)
 
Meatball turned Gummy Bear!
At this appointment, Marty, Dr. Font and I all agreed that placing a cerclage (the placement of a nonabsorbable suture around a functionally incompetent uterine cervix) would be the best for our situation. At 8 weeks there really isnt any precautionary measures to take so from then until 12 weeks I saw Dr. Khater every other week and continued taking my progesterone cream (I took this with Sloane too from weeks 4-12). Last week I received another ultrasound at 12 weeks and we were able to see just how big our little baby was getting! Cervix looked good as well at this appointment. We are always looking at my cervix to make sure its at least 3cm. Just about every appointment my cervix has been anywhere from 3cm to 5cm. Which is fantastic. The longer the better. It gives Dr. Font more to work with when he places the cerclage. During this ultrasound we did ask the technician to take a peek and see if we could see anything between the baby's legs. After 5 minutes of searching and looking she was able to give us her educated guess :) However we will know for sure in the upcoming weeks!


Big Hand!
Our Baby's Profile
 
Finally we are up to date! This past Monday, Marty and I visited Dr. Font and once again got to see the baby with an ultrasound (we have been so spoiled by getting an ultrasound almost every week!) We then were able to schedule the surgery. So Monday November 19th at 645am I will be getting my cerclage placed by Dr. Font. Of course Marty and my mom will be taking me. From what we know, we can expect to get a spinal and the procedure itself will only take 15 minutes. I will then be monitored for the rest of that morning early afternoon until the spinal wears off and everything looks good. I will experience some potential bleeding or spoting and mild cramping which all should go away by the end of the week. On Monday my cervix was 5cm and the baby was kicking and swinging its hands all over the place!

Baby Mitchell #2
Now that we have caught you all up to speed I welcome you to our blog. As long as I am on bed rest and new updates come up I'll be sharing them with all of you. This is going to be a long but successful journey as we plan to meet Baby Mitchell at the end of May. He/She has one of the best angels looking after him/her and without a doubt I know Sloane is watching over us as well. g

2 comments:

  1. So glad your surgery is early in the week! Thanks for keeping us up to date :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little meatball already!!!

    ReplyDelete