Friday, April 19, 2013

"I can feel her head"

So I wanted to wait until Thursday to give everyone some type of update, besides everything looks good. However I didn't anticipate what I am about to share.


As if anyone cares to see my IV however I wanted to "spice" up this update haha
Thursday morning at 7:30am I had an appointment with Dr. Font, and then at 1pm an appointment with Dr Khater. So we knew it would be quite a busy day. My mom would be bringing me to both since Marty was working all day. Dr. Font appointment started with a NST which went great. Collins was super active and cooperative. With all the rain and flooding that we have had Dr. Font was fashionably late coming in at 9:15am. I've had braxton hicks for a long time now, contractions that come and go, nothing regular. During the ultrasound (which might I add, Collins looks great, plenty of fluid, and still breech) my stomach started to have a contraction. He wasn't too happy with how hard my belly got and instructed us that we would be heading over to labor and delivery. Once in L&D I was told to change into a gown and start an IV full of fluids. They also hooked me up to the monitors to monitor the contractions as well as Collins heartbeat to see how she reacted to them. Contractions were about 7-9 minutes apart and sometimes 3-4 minutes apart. I could tolerate them at this point and refused pain medication in the form of an injection. Number 1 I wasn't in much pain and Number 2 I am over injections. They also wanted to take an urine culture to make sure I had nothing going on infection wise. It was basically a waiting game, waiting on Dr. Khater's orders on what he wanted done, and working through these contractions drinking a gallon of water and on top of that getting pumped of fluids. He did want the nurse to also check and see how my cerclage was holding up. She did and at 11am it was fine as expected. After a few hours of the same contractions Dr. Khater wanted to do 3 rounds of Terbutaline (anti-contraction medication) to delay preterm labor for up to 48 hours. I received these when I went into labor with Sloane and at this point (35weeks3days) we had spoken with both doctors and made the decision that we wouldn't interfere past 34weeks. So I also refused these injections (with the OK from Dr. Khater of course). At this point we had also learned that I had a pretty bad UTI. What? UGH! You've got to be kidding me. How did I get this, how did I not have any pain from it and we are practically at the end, why?! Then came the dreaded words from the nurse, "Dr. Khater is prescribing you antibiotics for the UTI." If anyone knows me, you know I am not a fan of any type of antibiotic during pregnancy since loosing Sloane and this medication he was prescribing was not my favorite. Insert water works. After speaking with Dr. Khater and Marty (who now has made it to the hospital) we decided the possible outcome of not taking the medication for the UTI outweighed the concerns we had for taking it.

At this point it is now 9 hours later on the monitor, having contractions, and IV fluid. At 4:15pm Dr. Khater ordered for me to be checked one more time vaginally and if the cerclage wasn't in danger of pressure then we were free to go. This is where it gets crazy, nurse checks me and says, "Well you are dilated to 1+ and oh I can feel her head!" I think Marty and I looked at one another and at the same time said, "HER HEAD!?" Ugh we don't think so, she's been breech for 10+ weeks and we just saw her this morning and she was breech. Dr. Khater was immediately called and he was on his way. Once he came we did a quick ultrasound to in fact find out that she is still breech which means my daughter has a nice firm butt Haha yes I just described my unborn daughter's butt as firm :). He then wanted to check me himself. He said if there was any pressure on this cerclage it would be cut out then and there and we would be on our way for a C-section. Fact was, yes I am dilated with the cerclage still in tact, however there is no pressure on top of it and I wasn't bleeding. Collins was also doing amazingly during the contractions, she could have cared less so stitch remains in and we were sent home. Which is a great thing for Collins. We want her to stay in until 37 weeks so she is full term. He did say that we shouldn't be surprised if that when the cerclage comes out I don't dilate more, which is fine by me.

So I am back at home, with crazy back labor but I am feeling good. I see Dr. Font Monday to go over taking the cerclage out and then we see Dr. Khater on Thursday, to discuss the C-section. AHH one more week on bed rest! I cannot believe it, and Collins will be here shortly. We are SO ready to meet her :).

Two side notes:
1: We only have 10 days left to donate to the March of Dimes for Sloane, and we are almost to our goal! Please help us and Susan get PAST our goal before she and her team walk in memory of our sweet little girl. xoxo

Sloane March of Dimes   <----click here

2: Since being on bed rest I have become obsessed with General Hospital, thanks to Taryn and when I came home exhausted from the hospital and just about to head to bed I had a package that was sent to me that day. Most of you won't even think this is funny let alone get it, but those of you that do watch GH take a look at how special I am, and what I'll be eating for a snack for now on...

Pickle-Lila Relish baby!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment